Navigating Burlington County: The Steamboat Era on the Upper Delaware River on Saturday, November 5, 2016 at 1 p.m.
For more information contact: Varissa McMickens Blair, Roebling Museum, 609/499-7200 email@example.com
ROEBLING, N.J. – Using post cards, maps, and historic photographs from his collection, New Jersey historian and Roebling Museum board member, Mr. Paul Schopp, will present an engaging program on the halcyon days of yore when our forefathers and mothers traveled up and down the Delaware River for commutation and for pleasure. Paul will talk about the boats, the piers, and the stops that made the excursion trade so lively.
Paul W. Schopp has been a student of local history for more than 42 years and previously worked as a professional historian in the Cultural Resource Management field for 30 years, specializing in regional history, transportation history, and the history of technology. Paul currently holds the position of Assistant Director of the South Jersey Culture & History Center at Stockton University. He is a well-known and respected authority in the New Jersey history community and served as the executive director of the Camden County Historical Society for four years during the 1990s. In 1994, Mr. Schopp completed the 488-page book, The Trail of the Blue Comet, the history of the Central Railroad of New Jersey’s Southern Division, participating in the work as a co-author. He is also a co-author and was senior editor of Linseed Oil Mills in New Jersey 1732-1955. A variety of specialty and peer-review journals have published his numerous articles and monographs over the years.
Don’t miss what is sure to be an informative and fascinating talk. Paul has a special affinity for New Jersey, the Delaware River, and the steamboats that once plied its waters.
The presentation will take place in the Museum’s Media Room. Admission is $6 and reservations are recommended. Call 609/499-7200 or reserve online at www.roeblingmuseum.org/events .
About the Roebling Museum:
Founded in 2007, the Roebling Museum is an industrial history museum focusing on the engineering innovations of John A. Roebling, designer of the Brooklyn Bridge; the wire rope industry he founded; and the history of the company town of Roebling. The Museum is located in the former gatehouse of the John A. Roebling’s Sons Company steel and wire mill, which produced and erected the cable for the Golden Gate Bridge and the George Washington Bridge.
Roebling Museum programming includes a summer STEM/STEAM camp for middle schoolers, Kids Create! engineering workshops, historic village walking tours, exhibits and public lectures. Learn more online at roeblingmuseum.org.